Live hope - give hope
Pope John Paul II visited the Shrine of Mariazell on September 13, 1983. The Holy Father took part in the feast of faith under the motto: "Live hope - give hope". He celebrated the Holy Mass, which was attended by more than 30,000 believers in the main square of the city. In 1997 Pope John Paul II was appointed an honorary citizen of Mariazell. The Pope's monument in front of the town hall building reminds us of the great importance that the Holy Father had for the pilgrimage town of Mariazell.
Since 1400, Mariazell has been known internationally as a place of pilgrimage. Pilgrims from all over Europe were actively seeking help from the Mother of Mercy of Mariazell, today worshiped as Magna Mater Austriae, Magna Domina Hungarorum and Alma Mater Gentium Slavorum. The history of the shrine began in 1157, when a monk named Magnus went to the place nowadays called Mariazell. This way he wanted to take care of the spiritual well-being of the inhabitants of the region. He took with him a Statue of the Virgin Mary carved by hand in lime wood, which soon became famous for its miraculous power.
The pictures from the visit of Pope John Paul II in 1983 were taken by Dr. Josef Kuss and his son Josef Kuss.